Friday, June 26, 2009

Everyday ADventures

When someone asks me what kind of person am I.. I say outrightly, I am an adventurer.. thanks to my everyday adventures in commuting to office..Ever since I started working, I have been commuting through public mode of transport... do not ask me why so, as I would be rather embarrased to give you the reply (secret, I do not know to ride a two-wheeler and cant afford a four wheeler ) and that makes a solid 5 years of everyday travel in a bus, auto rickshaw , share autos , train, cab or by walk (walking in public, isnt it public transport as well ???)
Now I can say I have travelled a lot (giggles)......

All this 5 years have been all funny, crazy, wild and irritating... on the whole..BP raising..

I remember my first days of travel in Bangalore in my office cab, where I have not missed even a single day to remind the driver to pick me up for work... else he would not remember me at all.. afterall I am not one of those who could be forgotten too easily too... but stil he managed too.

Then followed my lovely days in Hyderabad and travelling in shared autos...where in atleast ten adults were flooded all over in a three wheeled vehicle.. along with loud music from the driver's cabin and of course with all the gimmicks arising from there using the rear view mirror.. which may fail to give a clear view of the vehicles behind but not the girls sitting behind..seeing all this, I can never stop myself admiring the poise and the beauty of the auto and the Auto Man [ well, i call the driver of the auto as Auto Man :) ]
You may ask what do the cops do when these autos ply around the city, but they really could not do anything as the public is very much supportive of this cheap, fast and efficient mode of commuting..With late comers like me, these autos are definitely a boon.

Then followed my better days when I could afford for a single auto all for myself , banking on my bargaining skills to make sure I do not pay any extra.. I travelled with ease and thats when I got to know the 'friendliness' of these auto mans..who had all the ears in the world to know about you, your family, your friends, your friend's family, your neighbours and your neighbours family too and they would not get daunted by any number of questions they would have to ask.. they just go on and on and on..until you get down and render the exact change for the fare...and if you did not have the change, then forget the rest of money or wait for an hour or two until he could bring in the balance..as these guys are known for not having any money with them at all..One really wonders what do they do with their entire earnings of the day...

My experiences do include my adventures in other part of the world too.. spain in precise... taking a metro to work... wow,what fun it was!
With trains coming in every five minutes there was no need for me to hurry up but naa, how could I ever let a train going away missing me...hence it was running and catching up almost all the time.. a.k.a DDLJ style (remember the shahrukh stunt).
Inside the train, it was a merry, with different people around.. right from couples getting cozy to beggars asking for alms with their traditional trait of playing music... and yes, a few teens bashing up for some silly reasons... nevertheless it was a treat to travel in these metros..and to hear the announcement for the approaching station which goes on in spanish like " la siguiente estaciĆ³n es ...... "
and thus making my days fun filled adventures...

For all who want to know how I commute these days... I take a bus to work.. the very famous Pallavan now called MTC ( Metropilitan Transport Corporation )....ask me whyI travel by bus now... and I would say, I still cant afford the single auto all for myself and the route to office does not have shared autos too... hence I am left with MTC... which is definitely not a sore anymore... with atlesat 6-7 types of bus services and relevant rate fares... its on a rocking way!

No comments: